Twelve highly coveted awards were presented at Friday night’s Tasmanian Timber Awards, hosted by the Tasmanian Forests and Forest Products Network, including a recognition of industry stalwart Bryan Hayes’ outstanding contribution to the sector over more than 50 years. Source: Timberbiz
The biennial awards, held this year at the Tailrace Centre Launceston, celebrate excellence and best practice in harvesting, forest growing and management, distribution and logistics, innovation, environmental management, design and/or use of Tasmanian timber, workplace health and safety and tree farming.
Emily Gee and Emily Skromanis, both from Sustainable Timber Tasmania, were awarded Trainees of the Year, while Dr Nathan Kotlarewski from University of Tasmania took out the gong for Emerging Leader in the Tasmanian Timber Industry.
Forico’s Bryan Hayes was celebrated by the 420 attendees, deservedly winning the award for Outstanding Contribution to the Tasmanian Timber Industry. This category recognised excellence in an individual’s commitment to supporting and promoting the timber industry in Tasmania.
Mr Hayes has been influential in a number of Tasmanian companies since 1972 and currently works heading up industry advocacy and projects at Forico.
“My vision for the forest industry has always been for a united, focused and collaborative sector that is respected for creating and sharing value in the communities in which it operates,” Mr Hayes said.
Network Convenor, Sue Grau said the calibre of award entries was very high this year, which is a true reflection of—and testament to—the hard work of those in the sector.
“The TFFPN’s Tasmanian Timber Awards recognises and celebrates excellence and best practice within our industry and acknowledges those who are leaders in their fields,” Ms Grau said.
“Last night’s event showcased our industry in the best possible way. It truly was a celebration of industry, by industry.”
2023 Tasmanian Timber Awards Winners
- Distribution and Logistics Excellence Winner: Orana Enterprises
- Emerging Leader in the Tasmanian Timber Industry Winner: Dr Nathan Kotlarewski (UTAS)
- Excellence in Design and or Use of Tasmanian Timber Winner: Benjamin P Nitschke Architect
- Excellence in Environmental Management Practices Winner: Dr Amy Koch (Forest Practices Authority)
- Forest Growing and Management Excellence Winner: Hills Transplant Nursery
- Harvesting Excellence Winner: MechLog – ‘Forestry with Care’
- Innovation Award Winner: Indicium Dynamics
- Outstanding Contribution to the Tasmanian Timber Industry Winner: Bryan Hayes
- Trainees of the Year Winners: Emily Skromanis (Sustainable Timber Tasmania) Emily Gee (Sustainable Timber Tasmania)
- Tree Grower of the Year Winner: Jo Tubb & Gavin Cox
- Workplace Health and Safety Excellence Winner: Triple H Contracting.