The Green Triangle Timber Industry Awards on Friday night honoured leading forestry researcher Dr Jim O’Hehir with its Timber Legend Award. Source: Timberbiz
Five hundred people packed The Barn outside Mount Gambier for the fourth awards night, this year hosted by TV and radio’s Dave Thornton.
Ten awards were presented on the night.
Dr O’Hehir took up the position of General Manager, Forest Research, at Forest Research Mount Gambier in April 2018. Previously he was General Manager, Planning and Development, for ForestrySA.
Dr O’Hehir was recognised for his wealth of experience in forestry, wood production and environmental management.
With more than 30 years’ experience in the South Australian plantation forest industry, Dr O’Hehir has significant insight into the contemporary issues and solutions needed by the Australian forest industry.
His special interest area is in plantation growth and yield management, including long term sustainability, growth, yield, modelling and plantation water use. He has facilitated a number of national research projects and worked on the development of various modelling projects for predicting pine thinning and fertiliser growth and yield responses.
Dr O’Hehir has also published papers, chaired seminars and workshops and presented at conferences both internationally and locally and has qualifications in forest science, including a Bachelor of Science (Forestry) from ANU and a Master of Forest Science and PhD from the University of Melbourne.
The winners were:
- Operations – Harvesting and In-Field Chipping Excellence Jamie Marlow – Merrett Logging
- Operations – Silviculture and Timber Support Services Excellence Jason Whyte Berry & Whyte Surveyors
- Highly Commended – Josh Praolini from Green Triangle Forest Industries Hub
- Logistics Excellence – Port Operations, Marshalling and Timber Haulage Adam Merrett – Merrett Logging
- Sawmilling and Processing Excellence Award Andrew Burston – OneFortyOne
- Safety Excellence Award – Individual Achievement
Ryan Cassar – Tabeel Trading Nominees
Deb Kuhl – Timberlink Australia & New Zealand
- Trainee Award Grace Tse – Timberlands Pacific
Highly Commended – Amelia Harris – Van Schaik’s BioGro
- Environment & Sustainability Award Wendy Fennell – Fennell Forestry
Highly Commended – Levi Bateman – HVP Plantations
- Safety Excellence – Less than 30 Staff Glenara Transport
- Safety Excellence – More than 30 staff Merrett Logging
- Timber Legend Award Dr Jim O’Hehir