New Zealand Plant Producers has announced two new Honorary Life Membership of the Society. Honorary Life Membership is the highest award granted by New Zealand Plant Producers Incorporated. Only eight people have been awarded Honorary Life Membership before. Now Carol Fraser and Peter Fraser have joined the list. Source: Timberbiz
The award recognises outstanding service and contribution to the plant nursery organisations and industry over many years.
In granting this award to Carol Fraser, the NZ Plant Producers Board recognises her contribution to education and development of young people. Her commitment to industry training and supporting the annual Young Achievers competition which has inspired a generation of young people to learn and succeed.
In particular, Carol has:
- Contributed to NZ Plant Producers Young Achiever program from 2009 to 2018, providing program leadership, judging, coaching, and mentoring of NZ Plant Producers candidates for the Young Horticulturist competition.
- Made valuable and influential contributions to industry training programs. Managed and tutored at the Growing Spectrum Horticultural Training Centre. Students were able to study hands-on in the nursery, and Growing Spectrum was able to employ trained staff who already have a knowledge of nursery work. The Training Centre operated until 2010, training students from throughout Waikato.
- Made an entrepreneurial contribution to industry through horticultural training, garden retail (the progressive Frasers Garden Centre), and nursery production (the prestigious Growing Spectrum).
Honorary Life Membership confers to the awardee all the rights and privileges of Producer Membership of NZ Plant Producers.
NZ Plant Producers is the industry body for plant nurseries and related businesses. Members produce the plants growing the food that Kiwis eat and export, regenerating New Zealand’s forests, beautifying urban landscapes and being planted by millions of Kiwis in their backyards.
The vision is a vibrant plant production industry widely respected for its professionalism, innovation, and major contribution to New Zealand.
New Zealand Plant Producers Incorporated also awarded Peter Fraser Honorary Life Membership of the Society for his outstanding service and contribution to the plant nursery industry over many years.
In granting this award the NZ Plant Producers Board recognised his success and effectiveness in governance roles on the industry board, especially leadership through changes in the industry and industry body.
Peter served as:
- President of the Nursery and Garden Industry Association from 2007 until 2010.
- A board member the Nursery and Garden Industry Association from 2005 until 2010.
- A member of the NZ Nurserymans’ Association Executive Committee on two separate occasions.
- Several years as Chair of the NZ Nurserymans’ Association Retailers Group.
- A period as Chair of the NZ Nurserymans’ Association Waikato District Council.
- And made entrepreneurial contributions to industry through 47 years in landscaping, garden retail (the progressive Frasers Garden Centre), and nursery production (the prestigious Growing Spectrum).