Hewitt Studios in the UK worked with the Morgan Motor Company of the UK to refurbish their existing visitor centre and showroom, the refurbishment has a strong focus on sustainability. Source: Timberbiz
The company used a series of low-carbon interventions designed to improve building thermal performance, increase natural daylight, reduce energy consumption, reduce surface water run-off and provide for end-of-life recycling of materials.
Refurbishing the centre using wood was very appropriate since the cars themselves sport a wooden chassis. The company started in 1914 and has used craftsmen to construct the cars from ash timber, aluminium and leather.
Included in the project was:
– New sculptural visitor entrance foyer
– New ‘jewel box’ display space and expanded showroom
– New external covered car canopy
– Re-cladding and re-roofing of all existing buildings
– Opening-up and improvement of key internal spaces
– Enhanced public realm.