As part of its mission to promote the sustainable management of Australia’s plantation and native forests, Responsible Wood is seeking one independent director to join its board. Source: Timberbiz
Responsible Wood is a not-for-profit company established in 2002 to promote the sustainable management of Australia’s plantation and native forests. To accomplish this aim, Responsible Wood owns and manages the Responsible Wood Certification Scheme.
The Scheme is underpinned by two endorsed Australian Standards, AS4708 – Sustainable Forest Management and the associated Standard for Chain of Custody of certified wood and forest products AS4707.
As of August 2018, more than 8 million hectares of Australia’s plantation and native forests are sustainably managed under AS4708 and more than 350 sites across Australia operate a chain of custody management system certified to AS4707.
Responsible Wood, is one of only six standards development organisations accredited by Standards Australia to write and develop fully endorsed and recognised Australian standards.
Responsible Wood is a member of the international program for the endorsement of forest certification (PEFC), and the Responsible Wood Certification Scheme has achieved international mutual recognition as an endorsed PEFC scheme.
Responsible Wood promotes domestic and international markets for sustainably produced forest products through Responsible Wood and PEFC supply chain product labelling.
Membership of Responsible Wood is open to all individuals and organisations who support the objects of the organisation. It is governed by a board of up to nine directors, six appointed by the members, and up to three independent directors (not members of Responsible Wood or employees of members) appointed by the board. The chair is appointed from among the independent directors. The board meets around 3-5 times per year, with additional meetings of board committees (audit & risk, governance and marketing) as required.
Independent directors are appointed according to their skills and experience to ensure the board collectively has the capacity to effectively advance Responsible Wood’s objectives. Independent directors will be selected with a focus on one or more of the following skills and experience:
- A strong background in sustainability, especially in the areas of the built environment, specification and design
- An extensive network within the Australian and international, environmental or academic communities
- Be well regarded and respected by Australian environmental and/or scientific organisations
- Marketing and promotion of sustainable products or solutions (building or consumer products), including promotion and retail marketing
- Environment and Community
- Social marketing and community engagement
- Rural and regional community development and employment
- Indigenous community development and education
- Management and Public Policy
- Corporate governance
- Standards development and management
- Public policy and administration
- Business and financial management, including legal issues and risk management.
Responsible Wood supports and encourages diversity and gender balance. Indigenous and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Independent directors serve in an unpaid voluntary capacity. Costs associated with meeting attendance are fully covered by Responsible Wood.
Applications close on 19 October 2018 and can be submitted to Simon Dorries Chief Executive Officer at [email protected]
For further information contact Simon Dorries on 0438 265 975.